Google Product Reviews Update Goes Live In Search Results
By:∣ Updated: April 14, 2021
Today Google launches the product reviews search algorithm update, which is specifically aimed at rewarding well-researched and deep content over brief summaries for products on the web.
To be clear: this isn't an overhaul of all our algorithms that affects every type of query--it's just one specific change targeted towards people looking up information about items they're thinking about buying or researching more before making their purchase online.
Websites publishing a review or editorial content on products may already see fluctuations in traffic and rankings due to Google’s new system for rewarding sites which provide high quality information through their articles and user reviews as opposed those who spam low value links between unrelated pages of websites they own just so it can rank higher in SERPs (search engine result page).
Owners of any site experiencing sudden spikes or drops in searches, starting at April 8th could be affected by the recent changes made by Google regarding how your website is ranked based off its users’ experience searching online
What If The Product Reviews Update Impacted My Site?
With this update, Google Search aims to prioritize product reviews written by experts or enthusiasts who know the topic well.
- Express expert knowledge about products where appropriate?
- Show what the product is like physically, or how it is used, with unique content beyond what’s provided by the manufacturer?
- Provide quantitative measurements about how a product measures up in various categories of performance?
- Explain what sets a product apart from its competitors?
- Cover comparable products to consider, or explain which products might be best for certain uses or circumstances?
- Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of a particular product, based on research into it?
- Describe how a product has evolved from previous models or releases to provide improvements, address issues, or otherwise help users in making a purchase decision?
- Identify key decision-making factors for the product’s category and how the product performs in those areas? For example, a car review might determine that fuel economy, safety, and handling are key decision-making factors and rate performance in those areas.
- Describe key choices in how a product has been designed and their effect on the users beyond what the manufacturer says?
The benefits of reviews with short summaries are being called into question because they may be less useful than other types.
Going forward, Google is recommending that reviewers write in-depth and helpful feedback on their products to rank higher in search results.
Site owners now need to publish holistic analyses of products, which include comparisons to similar products and comparisons the previous iterations of the same product.
Provide quantitative analysis when possible such as speed tests if you’re reviewing a computer or other data that can assist consumers with making a purchase decision.
It sounds like Google will pay close attention to whether a review offers information that goes beyond what the manufacturer provides. In other words, don’t go back on your promise of honesty by rewriting anything you find online about a product right after clicking through from their website!
Do You Want More Traffic,
More Leads & More Clients?
Let us analyze your website today for better ranking & revenue. Click on the below button for a free analysis. Request A Free Analysis!